if you work your most of the time in front of computer or television sitting on a chair which is also natural as the proliferation of computers and entertainment in our daily lives is increasing at ever highest rate thereby the problems associated with unhealthy sitting postures are becoming more and more prevalent. Here in this article, some essential tips are being discussed to get set you towards healthy sitting.
Pressure Sores and its Causes:
Pressure ulcers (bedsores) often develop following prolonged sitting especially where people are immobile or are unable to feel discomfort due to injury or disease or lack of awareness.
This happens because prolonged unhealthy way of sitting which causes heightened pressure that cuts off blood supply to that pressed area. Lack of blood supply can cause the skin tissue in this area to die.
The skin over bony areas such as the heels, elbows, the back of the head and the tailbone (coccyx) is especially at risk.
Pressure sores can also occur if a person is bedridden for long enough, the areas of skin that are constantly in contact with the mattress or chair will start to discolor. This shows that the skin is in danger of ulcerating.
Healthy sitting for Prevention of Pressure Sores : Some essential tips
- To prevent skin damage, one need to let off the pressure, cut down the time that pressure is applied.
- People who use a wheelchair are advised to shift position within their chair about every 15 minutes. People who spend most of their time in bed are advised to change position at least once every two hours, even during the night, and to avoid lying directly on their hipbones.
- Pillows may be used as soft buffers between the skin and the bed or chair.
- Avoid clothes that are too tight or having wrinkles or uneven thickness that could possibly press on your skin.
- After urinating or having a bowel movement, Clean the afflict area right away. Dry well to prevent any secondary bacterial or fungal infection.
- One may improve skin quality by the use of moisturizing cream on skin adequately as damage is more likely to occur if skin is either too dry or too moist.
- One can use strategies of care such as position changes, supportive devices such as cushions , daily skin care, a nutritious diet with good water intake and lifestyle changes.
- One may Stand up and walk around for a few minutes periodically for pressure relief.
- Be aware of healthy practices to prevent skin infections.
- Consult dermatologist for medicine and treatment guidelines if found the problem of pressure sores going serious.
References and Further reading: